pole to pole with ME

Saturday, January 21, 2006

It´s not broken, I´m okay.

Whew! It was a whirlwind return home, and I now report from the fantastic town of Talca, south of Santiago, Chile. Current temperature is 25 degrees Celcius, and it´s sunny like it´s never going to stop. Lu and I are staying at Stella Borbastero, an incredible piece of paradise in the middle of wine country (it has a pooooooooool!) and we are soaking away the stress of Santiago.
Typing is still a bit difficult, due to an incident in Saskatoon. Hence the title of today´s entry. Here´s the scoop:
My soon-to-be-sister-in-law graciously arranged for me to have a massage on the day after my arrival in Saskatoon. I was in such a tizzy to get to this massage that I forgot an important rule of physics. See, my car had been stowed in part of the three car garage - the one with the manual door, as opposed to the section with the automatic door. Due to my extreme excitement at the prospect of a damned fine backrub, I wasn´t thinking about how best to close the garage door behind me. I could have easily closed the manual door from the inside, then hit the button for the automatic and ducked under as it descended. Oh, no, my friends, what did I do? I made a valiant attempt to close the manual garage door from the outside, grasping it by the little ledge, and giving it a good shove downwards.
This is where physics took over.
The downward force could have closed the garage door, had it not been for the presence of my middle and index fingers of my right hand on the little ledge. Unfortunately for aforementioned fingers, the ledge that I was using for purchase closed up as the door went down, effectively bludgeoning my fingertips under my own force.
In the half-second that it took for this message to register from my fingers to my brain, I knew that my strategy for getting the door closed had been a BAD IDEA.
To make a long, painful story short (believe me, I could go on...) Mom determined that the fingertip is only cracked a little bit, it´s healing well enough that I can type with it now, the fingernail might not fall off, and I made it to the massage! So life´s not all so bad.
(Okay, the massage sent my back into spasms, but Karen fixed that (she´s a miracle worker! Support your local chiropractor!!!) and then I got a cold, but that´s getting better, plus I had a bag stolen in Santiago, but I was not threatened or physically harmed, and I didn´t lose anything I couldn´t replace, so life is still all right. Mom & Dad, please don´t worry. Everybody else in Chile is extremely helpful and nice - this could have happened anywhere.)
And now Lu and I are going on a vineyard tour with the sweetest hotelier ever! He couldn´t find us a guide for the day, so he is driving us around himself! I expect to be pleasantly buzzed by dinnertime.
By the way - Empañadas are delicious.
Ciao, niños!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home