pole to pole with ME

Saturday, June 10, 2006


Me and my fellow "Dam Big Rodents" (as we like to call the theatre troupe) are in Ottawa this weekend, sampling all of the culinary delights of the nation's capital. (oh, and we're going to be doing a little show here on Monday). We started the day at the Byward Market, where you can find nosh from any part of the globe. We opted for some fruit and chocolate brioche, followed by a hefty wedge of brie laced with black truffles and "pain du bois" which translated somewhat awkwardly to "wood bread." I don't think that they intended to imply that the bread was made of wood... Anyhoo.

One of the famous delicacies of Ottawa is the "Beaver Tail"(see above) - a platter of fried sugared dough served hot & fresh from street vendors. That'll be breakfast tomorrow, if the weather decides to cooperate. It's no fun eating street food if it's being blown from your grip by a soggy northern gale. I thought Ottawa was supposed to be stinkin' hot in the summer! (grr)That's it - I'm going back to the Rockies on Monday. Posted by Picasa

4 Comments:

At June 11, 2006 11:25 PM, Blogger Nezbitt said...

A Beaver Tail sounds an awful lot like an Elephant Ear. Are they close? Am I even making sense?

Also, I still like the name "Beaver on a Stick" the best.

;)

 
At June 16, 2006 8:56 AM, Blogger schwartzee said...

Yup, it's the same thing, different name. They're trying to be all "Canadian" because it's the "capital" - but we all know that "Toronto" is the centre of the universe...

;p

 
At June 20, 2006 8:13 PM, Blogger Draya's Mom said...

Ah yes, my boss recently going on & on about Beaver Tales. They do sound yummy! I'm a mini-doughnut girl myself but I'll have to try an Elephant Ear at Fringe this year.

 
At June 23, 2006 10:01 PM, Blogger schwartzee said...

do it! they're soooo yummy. Greeeeaaaasy gooooooodnesssssss

 

Post a Comment

<< Home